South Australian Railways introduced 36 steel bodied country
passenger cars between 1936 and 1941. Of these cars the last
24 built, entered service in 1940/41. They were all of a
similar external appearance and the same overall length.
16 were coded 700 to 715, these were Second class centre aisle
cars. 4 were coded 750 to 753, these were Composite class
centre aisle cars. 4 were coded 780 to 783, these First class
centre aisle cars.
Originally introduced with frameless full drop windows, they
were progressively replaced with half drop chrome plated
framed windows from the mid 1950s through to the very early
Introduced in Hawthorn green and cream with black roofs up until the
mid to late 1960s, when they were progressively repainted into
Regal red and Silver to match the newer country stock.
In the early 1970s 4 cars were transferred to standard gauge
to work between Broken Hill and Peterborough. Later in the
early 1980s several cars were hired to Victorian Railways.
Many 700 series cars also saw service with West Coast Railway
in Victoria, Steam Ranger in South Australia, North Rivers
Railroad with Ritz Rail in Northern NSW.